December 31, 2011

Back in the saddle for 2012

As the new year rolls around, I am trying yet again to create weekly healthy, easy menus for my family. We did pretty well most of last year (obviously posting on here was a challenge), but we slipped into old habits of eating out a lot more than I wanted.

Last year, my biggest downfall was time for planning. So, I’m trying a new approach this year. Last week, I was home with my little one and while she was napping, I planned out menus for the full month of January. After I was finished, I realized there are several advantages to this: ability to leverage grocery store sales, more variety in the menus throughout the month and less stress for mom…the last advantage being the best of course. I created an easy template to keep track of the menu, the ingredients and jot down some lunch ideas. I created a master grocery list and can keep my eyes out for sales and coupons between now and the end of the month. If something is on sale before it is planned, I can always swap it out to take advantage of the sale. Saving money, saving time and cooking healthy meals for the fam…perfect!

My plan is to post the menus each week with recipes, but at the beginning of the month (if all goes according to plan) I will post the menu for the month.

Stay tuned for another post with January's menu.

No comments:

Post a Comment